RPM Solutions repairs atomizer shafts by laser welding the worn surfaces and grinding those surfaces back to the proper tolerances. Laser Repair Technology (LRT) is a process owned and operated by our sister company RPM and Associates. The base material of this atomizer shaft is not acceptable to other welding techniques without potential material stress failure. Thermal spray or chroming process produces a mechanical bond with the base material which may flake or fail during operation. The laser welding is a metallurgical bond with the base material which made laser welding a perfect fit for this application. The dilution into the base material is minor and distortion is very minimal. All critical diameters on a variety of atomizer shafts including the threads have been laser welded and machined or ground back to proper tolerance dimensions. The material that laser applied is superior to the original material in hardness for seal and bearings areas and corrosion resistance of all areas.
Key points …
- Base material not acceptable to typical welding techniques without risk of failure.
- Spray processes are mechanically bonded to the base material.
- Spray materials have a tendency to crack and flake during operation.
- Laser applied material is metallurgically bonded to the base material.
- Material dilution into the base material was consistent, controlled, and minimal.
- Laser applied material created minimal distortion to the component.
Contact Us about the details of your project.